What Is Your Favorite Khmer Food?

mike

Beggar
People who can't stand the smell of prahok, khmer people are substituting anchovies to make it (y) to cater to those who can't stand the smell, but would love to eat it.

It totally work, you're still using fish in the recipe since anchovies are fishes (y)(y), and there are no smell.
Still totally taste good. :D

It won't take all day to make prahok with anchovies, same amount of time. ;)
you are so jugemental in a bad way! #justsayen#

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
you are so jugemental in a bad way! #justsayen#

Glad you know me well to say I'm judgmental. (y)
I didn't notice you been living next to my house for the last 20 years I been in the U.S. :roflmao:
Let me guess, you're giving me your 1 cent. o_O

Telling people to use anchovy to make prahok; to prevent the deadly smell is judgmental, then I don't mind being the biggest judgmental person in this world. (y)

The Free Dictionary - judgmental
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/judgemental
Of, relating to, or dependent on judgment: a judgmental error.

Using anchovy to make prahok to prevent the deadly smell is not an error, it exactly exist to work.

mike

Beggar
my bad, aint talking about the prohok. m just sayen in general from all of your other posts. I noticed that you don't like when peeps disagree with your opinion.

I don't have to live next to you or know you to understand what kind of person you are. Just a vibe how i feel about you. I do understand you like to be "miss knows it all" .

This is my 1 cent lols

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
my bad, aint talking about the prohok. m just sayen in general from all of your other posts. I noticed that you don't like when peeps disagree with your opinion.

I don't have to live next to you or know you to understand what kind of person you are. Just a vibe how i feel about you. I do understand you like to be "miss knows it all" .

This is my 1 cent lols

You clearly didn't read every post. I have comment where I don't agree on myself, which can easily be pulled out for your references.

I do like to know it all, that is why I chose to go to college, to be more educated. It's nice to know it all, even though I can't; since I won't ever be as smart as Albert Einstein. I'm sorry that you don't like to know it all. But it makes no sense for you to tell me I can't like to know it all, because you don't appreciate it. I didn't know that writing my own opinion makes a person judgmental in a bad way?

I actually got the anchovy solution from my sister who got it from people who makes it themselves. I'm just basically passing useful information for those who care to tried it out. Many of my comments includes references, link, or pictures to back up my comments not just my saying or my know it all. I'm doing the extra work because I'm a friendly person. I don't want to just write one or two words so people with judgmental issue can say I'm a spammer on the forum. My teacher always give me a passing grade for those extra work. Didn't know it's not acceptable on this forum?

Just seeing their pix and styles of writing don't implies who the person are. Not ever in the forum has I personally call a person out on who they are ( aka judgmental ). These forum are full of opinion and what I wrote was all my opinion of my own likes. You judge me base on your biased reasons.

You clearly admit that you're judgmental since you're using your vibe and feeling to judge me. (y)

Last edited:

Barbara

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
Increased risks of allergic reactions and seafood contains iodine.

During wound healing, our body is weaker than normal and the "new skin/flesh" that is granulating is more sensitive than the "old skin/ flesh" so even a small amount of iodine in the blood can cause serious allergic reaction i.e.-reddness, itchiness, swelling. when such allergic reaction (aka inflammationary reaction) starts the "new" sensitive skin/flesh will step up to step 2 of the process by trying to "flush" out the irritant out of the system. in that case we will start to see fluid coming out from the wound. over days, the fluid will become pus. *eekkk* why so? i believe its 2 fold, 1- the iodine is still lingering in the blood system thus reaction continues, 2- the wound is not cleansed thoroughly and frequently enough.
Ok thanks Hunnie for the info. Good things to know. Because the whole time I try to avoid salt, and I can feel my body swell if I ate salt. But now I will pay attention to seafood too, which it is my favorite of all time

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Ok thanks Hunnie for the info. Good things to know. Because the whole time I try to avoid salt, and I can feel my body swell if I ate salt. But now I will pay attention to seafood too, which it is my favorite of all time

Every surgery is different. Its always better for you to check with your doctor to see what he recommends for your diet. I just mention seafood, because that's what my mom always tell me not to eat after a surgery. :D

Your condition might be different. :) The seafood is what all the elders I know is saying to not eat when I get a cut or something.

kalyann

Commoner
is craving for this egg thing with sdao? don't know the name of it. but its so yummy! my mum makes it the best. i wud eat like 3 bowl of rice with that...

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I want to know how to make baw baw banh kanh, is it the same way as soup katiew?

My mom would make that for me to eat. She make the baw baw with whatever meat she desired, and you just add the banh kanh in it. Since it's homemade, the meat is to your preference, what you feel like eating that day. Simaliar to making soup katiew but you have to prep and cook the rice for it. Here's a nice video to get you familiar with making baw baw if you haven't already know how. :)

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
A lot of the time people get scared of prahok after they find out what it is. I usually tell people after they try it so they don't turn away from it before trying it.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
A lot of the time people get scared of prahok after they find out what it is. I usually tell people after they try it so they don't turn away from it before trying it.

Some people use the prahok to make papaya salad. It didn't freak me out since I'm used to all kind of prahok. The elder are so good at making all kinds of dip with them, really overwhelmed me to actually learn all. My dad always have a gathering with all his buddies back then and they all know how to cook something wonderful. I ate turtle with them, they can make some good turtle. I believe they buy if from China Town. Their special gathering makes my tummy happy.

Barbara

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
My mom would make that for me to eat. She make the baw baw with whatever meat she desired, and you just add the banh kanh in it. Since it's homemade, the meat is to your preference, what you feel like eating that day. Simaliar to making soup katiew but you have to prep and cook the rice for it. Here's a nice video to get you familiar with making baw baw if you haven't already know how. :)

I just love the lady in the video. She is so sweet to her son and her son is polite to her.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I just love the lady in the video. She is so sweet to her son and her son is polite to her.

I know, they make a lot of useful cooking video. He said the video is for his kids to see their grandmother later when she's not around in the future. Those video will be their precious momento of her. <3+<3

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer

Awesome Video! (y)

Rock

Level 1
Swordsman
Wanderer
Yea they have everything, music, tutorials, even videos of people playing games.