What Is Your Favorite Khmer Food?

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
You eat snake? :D
I like them sour fruits too but now I can't eat them too much due to sensitive teeth.
Awch poun Hamster:oops::nailbiting:

I used to eat sour fruits a lot and spicy too, But now i am cutting them down as well:)

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
and also this one too... arch make me so hungry.heheheh

View attachment 2251
Damn, I hate you already becuz you're making me hungry haha. I love lok cha!

I like them with shrimp, sliced beef, bean sprouts, eggs, lots and lots of "pa-hut," and some "tuk-koon." (tuk-koon isn't common in lok cha, but more in the soups).

Do you know what pa-hut and tuk-koon is called in English?

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Damn, I hate you already becuz you're making me hungry haha. I love lok cha!

I like them with shrimp, sliced beef, bean sprouts, eggs, lots and lots of "pa-hut," and some "tuk-koon." (tuk-koon isn't common in lok cha, but more in the soups).

Do you know what pa-hut and tuk-koon is called in English?
Hi Believe dear,
May I ask if you can describe pa-hut?

Is this Tuk Koon ?
water-spinach-trokuon-khmer.jpg

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
Yes, that's tuk koon! :)

Pa hut....dang, I'm not sure how to explain it. It's basically grounded pork, squished up in a ball, or whatever shape, of meat. Forgive me, I'm terrible when describing foods haha

Pahut is the slice pieces of meat we put in our kuteav or nom pah chok.

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
img02086-20110208-1320.jpg

It's the thing on the left of this kuteav. It's in meatball form, though.

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Yes, that's tuk koon! :)
Trokuon in english is Water Spinach or Water Convolvulus

Pahut....dang, I'm not sure how to explain it. It's basically grounded pork, squished up in a ball, or whatever shape, of meat. Forgive me, I'm terrible when describing foods haha

Pahut is the slice pieces of meat we put in our kuteav or nom pah chok.
Do you put Pahut in nom pah chok too? I normally put Pahut in Kuteav only

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
WHAT? You don't put pahut in nom pa chok? Is that not normal? Not having pahut in nom pa chok should be illegal in Cambodian standards! I'll call out the CNRP and the CPP to make it official in Cambodia. HAHA j/k

Seriously, I'm going to call my mom tomorrow morning and ask her if pahut is an "extra," rather than a requirement, in nom pa chok.

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
WHAT? You don't put pahut in nom pa chok? Is that not normal? Not having pahut in nom pa chok should be illegal in Cambodian standards! I'll call out the CNRP and the CPP to make it official in Cambodia. HAHA j/k

Seriously, I'm going to call my mom tomorrow morning and ask her if pahut is an "extra," rather than a requirement, in nom pa chok.

Hi Believe dear,
I believe we are talking in different Nom Pa Chok.
Is your Nom Pa Chok mix with fish sauce?

Because mine
NomBanhChok.jpg
7c4c8a160eb9f6612ea99428f63c1fc3.jpg

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Plea Sach Ko
Pleah_Sach-Ko.jpg

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Nom Bagn Chok

Nom banh chok.jpg

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
Well, I am one hundred percent sure that we are talking about the same kind of nom pa chok.

I guess I am realizing that my mom's version of nom pa chok has been catered to my preference. SHIT!!!! NOw, I feel sooo bad. But on the same breath, I am so loved by my mom. I never knew she put sliced beef and pahut in it, just for me.....almost brings tears to my eyes.

OK, I will never, ever, in a million years, will ever put my mom in a nursing facility during her last days. (y)

But on the real though, you are missing out on how good it tastes with pahut and sliced beef. It's sooooo damn good.

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
Well, I am one hundred percent sure that we are talking about the same kind of nom pa chok.

I guess I am realizing that my mom's version of nom pa chok has been catered to my preference. SHIT!!!! NOw, I feel sooo bad. But on the same breath, I am so loved by my mom. I never knew she put sliced beef and pahut in it, just for me.....almost brings tears to my eyes.

OK, I will never, ever, in a million years, will ever put my mom in a nursing facility during her last days. (y)

That what I call a mother love:sneaky:her love is so pure <3+<3and willing to do anything for her children..hehehe

But on the real though, you are missing out on how good it tastes with pahut and sliced beef. It's sooooo damn good.
I might give it a try since you are so insist :p

lovepink

Commoner
There are so many khmer foods that I like. It's hard to name them since I don't know the English names for them. Prohok, vermicelli, congee, anything shrimp stir fry, nom saum (pork, yellow beans and sticky rice covered in banana leaves), steamed buns, chicken curry, wonton soup, etc.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
What is this called? I have never seen this type of khmer food before. It looks good though.

If I'm looking at the correct image, red stuff wrap with banana leaves? It's called Amok.

Amok trey (អាម៉ុកត្រី) is probably Cambodia's most well-known dish amongst visitors; there are similar dishes found in neighboring countries. Freshwater fish fillet (commonly snakehead fish, or Mekong catfish) is covered with an aromatic kroeung (pounded shallots, lemongrass, garlic, kaffir lime), roasted crushed peanuts, coconut milk, and egg and then wrapped in banana leaves and steamed until it achieves a mousse-like texture. Unlike the Thai, Lao and Malaysian versions of the same dish, it is not intended to be spicy but rather fragrant, zesty and flavorful.

In addition, there's several ways to prep and make it, we all has our own ways of doing it.
Love it. <3+<3<3+<3

khmer-food001-5.jpg

Jaxa4786

Commoner
Wanderer
I eat all Khmer food but the only thing i hate is bittermelon.