Going To Cambodia

Jaxa4786

Commoner
Wanderer
Thanks Kolap. Nursing is a good job. Hopefully you get in. I am planning to go for nursing too. I hope that my schedule wont affect my schedule with my kids.

kolap

Commoner
Yea, I know what you mean. There's actually a lot of middle class Asian people here who acts like they're all superior and high class. Well, not just Asian people, but again, with what Hunnie had posted earlier, people from every race is like that. Sad to say, but the women dresses more provocatively and seductively than the younger women. I used to work at a diverse company, but luckily only a few Cambodian people were in my dept, but they're all nice and cool. Other depts have really snobby, impolite, and obnoxious men and women. I caught a few of them checking me out, but I didn't care for it. I was there to work, and get paid. I seriously felt like I was in high school all over again. So much drama.

kolap

Commoner
Oh gawd yea. I feel like Cambodian cuss words are so much more personal, disrespectful, abusive and insulting. It can really rouse a person up.

kolap

Commoner
I feel like Cambodian rich snobs are much worse than the typical snobs you see on TV lol. They can really kick a person down, and keep kicking...

Jaxa4786

Commoner
Wanderer
I defend anyone in different kind of races. But I just hate the fact that Khmer rich snobs think they better than anyone. In high school I am the bad always skipping classes. This rich Khmer girl think I dont speak Khmer because I was born in the states. She call me all sort of name. But what disappoint me was she talking about my mother that she didnt raise me well that I always skipped class to hangout. This was when I have to talk all my nasty khmer cussing words at her. Plus I have to kick her ass too. I dont like fighting it not me. But when it come talking about my mom i have to beat up some snobbish out of her. I hope she realise money aint nothing to the world. It could buy merchandise but not relationship.

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
You seem to know your way around life's obstacles real well. But since you ask...

My life seldom reaches beyond the 5 mi radius-limit. However, I do hope you have a life-changing experience. Most do. I don't think I'll ever be going to Cambodia for a trip. I don't feel any affinity for that country or the people. Maybe one day I will have a change of heart.

I'll tell you a secret. I fake it until I make it. So far, so good!

I'm sure you have all the basic down as far as being a safe travelers, so I'm not going to rant about the same old things. But I do want to congratulate you on the trip. Hope everything goes well.

Do take enough picture for yourself to look at later at home even though you're not going to post it on the forum. It's a nice memory to have laying around in the scrapbook. :)

View attachment 2377

You mean to tell me that pedestrians don't have the right of way there? haha

Thanks, I hope I'll come back alive. If I don't return within one month after my arrival back to the States, then consider me dead. Tell my mom and dad I love them. Thanks in advance cuz I won't be able to thank you after death.

That sounds like fun! I haven't been, but would love to! Are you visiting family/friends? If yea, I think they would advise you the do's and don'ts, as well as other great tips. I would say hold off wearing jewelries, and wear a messenger cross-body back etc. They can definitely sense that you're from abroad and that might mean trouble, I say depending on what parts of the country you're gonna be at.

Happycamper, did you have a bad experience?

A cousin is getting married there, so I'm taking advantage of that and to experience my roots. I'm a refugee camp baby, so I'm one of those who are torn by culture clashes. Look at me now, read the words I type, and you can probably assume I am semi-retarded. Other than that, I'm pretty normal ;)

Thanks for the jewelry tip. I sure ain't gonna wear my necklace and watch. Do you suggest me wearing torn up jeans? And put dirt on my face? Nah, I'm just f-king with you. Jewelry stuff--great reminder though, I hope I don't forget when next year comes haha

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
I read all the responses and I appreciate them all. I learned some stuff too. Many thanks.

Now, do you guys have any suggestions on which places to check in? you know, I'm talking about the places that wow's you or give you that life-changing experience yall speak off.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Cambodians people never accept me man, makes me very mad. I avoid them cause all the time, they gotta say something bad about me, really! That's what I don't wanna go, I harbor it man. It's not hatred really but I feel shunned...like what else am I suppose to feel? lol I feel hated. Sorry to venting off topic :D but it was a moment of inspiration for me to express myself hehe. Whaa-ta!

But I wouldn't mind going man, its not that serious. To be honest with you guys I'm just a busy man and I can't really make the time right now. A little scared too. I got hella bills and going to Cambodia will burn a good hole in my pocket. Hypothetically speaking I would LOVE to go to srok khmer but with extreme caution and of course amazing wonder:D as I would towards any other country.

Never going though, that just on the real, too broke right now man.

I have no money, but my boyfriend will pay for me. He went to Hong Kong and then straight to Vietnam last summer. It was a month vacation. It was a 18 hours flight, if I didn't remember wrong. I took a 30 min flights to San Jose once and it gave me a headache. Being in the airplane any longer will kill me. Seriously, that's the only reason why I hate going out of country. Flying is not my cup of tea. But you guys are stronger than me. ;)

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
Places to check in: Metro, Jet's Studio, Le Moon, The Summer, Aeon Mall, ..........

Hell yea, thank you kind, sir...or ma'am. I got that list on my phone as a reminder already--not kidding.

zaxC4jx.jpg

haha

Last edited:

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
Now, I just gotta polish up my Khmer. Muy, pi, bey, bourn, pramp, pramp muy, pramp pi, pramp bey, pramp bourn, dop,.... haha

billyp1

Commoner
I went to Cambodia 2 years ago with my family, went to see Angkor Wat and Sihanoukville (Kompong Som). I gotta say, the mosquitoes really like me there, they were so small didn't even realize they were mosquitoes.

kolap

Commoner
I read all the responses and I appreciate them all. I learned some stuff too. Many thanks.

Now, do you guys have any suggestions on which places to check in? you know, I'm talking about the places that wow's you or give you that life-changing experience yall speak off.

I have never been to Cambodia, but heard of the experiences from family and friends that visited. I think the thing that would probably struck me as a life-changing experience is being surrounded by people from all ages in a very depressing and unfortunate state of being. I didn't have to personally go to feel the agony though. I mean, anybody who had ever watch Mr. Willie Uy's Cambodian Educational Network would understand and know what I'm talking about. I love watching those DVDs, yet very sad. It just makes me feel so blessed and fortunate to be born, raised and living here even though things aren't turning out as great or as planned. I picture myself being on their end of the spectrum, because if my parents didn't take refuge here, it may well have been my family out on the streets begging for money and food. It stinks because we tend to complain about trivial matters, or waste food, when unfortunate people from all over the world are going through 100x worse or would love to eat the food that we have wasted. I think that ppl who experiences this, will get self-motivated and try to better themselves, and/or strive to partake in making a difference.

Question out of curiosity:

Do ppl on here (khmerforums) befriend each other on Facebook?

I have never been to Cambodia, but heard of the experiences from family and friends that visited. I think the thing that would probably struck me as a life-changing experience is being surrounded by people from all ages in a very depressing and unfortunate state of being. I didn't have to personally go to feel the agony though. I mean, anybody who had ever watch Mr. Willie Uy's Cambodian Educational Network would understand and know what I'm talking about. I love watching those DVDs, yet very sad. It just makes me feel so blessed and fortunate to be born, raised and living here even though things aren't turning out as great or as planned. I picture myself being on their end of the spectrum, because if my parents didn't take refuge here, it may well have been my family out on the streets begging for money and food. It stinks because we tend to complain about trivial matters, or waste food, when unfortunate people from all over the world are going through 100x worse or would love to eat the food that we have wasted. I think that ppl who experiences this, will get self-motivated and try to better themselves, and/or strive to partake in making a difference.

I'm trying to start my facebook page from scratch. always need new friends.

believe

Commoner
Wanderer

Wow nice, I like what you wrote. I sense you're the type who try not to take things for granted in life, which is a quality I admire. Empathy isn't something you can learn in a year or so; it's something you master through long periods of time in a person's life, preferably a learned behavior from childhood...but you seem to got it smacked down.

I'm assuming you're residing in the States. Just a random question, what would you have done if you were the Prime Minister of Cambodia? What areas there do you think need improvements? How will you accomplish them?

I have no idea if people befriend each other on FB. I'm also new.

Make sure you carry small changes at all time for tips and beggar.
Good tip. I'll just put myself in a mindset as if I'm going to a strip club.

Barbara

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
i'm going to cambodia early next year....for the first time in my life.

does anyone here have suggestions on what to do, where to go, what to avoid, how to effectively get around, how to deal with snobby khmers, and any other things that could help me??
Believe you have more courage than I do for going to visit Cambodia. I got an invitation early this summer too but I turned it down. I just don't have the nerves to do it. First I have no clue about the culture and I heard most of people go there got really sick due to the change environment. But good luck to you. Hope you have a good time over there. My uncle just went this past summer for the first time ever of his life and he like it.

pocketkiriyama

Commoner
I'll be in Cambodia at the end of this year to first week of next. Quick question. How's the transportation there? Can I rent a car? I heard when you rent a car you get a driver too and you have to also pay for his food and lodging.