Charlie Hebdo: Gun Attack On French Magazine Kills 12

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
I know we have some French-Cambodians in here. Can you all tell us what happen through your thoughts on what shooting at Charlie Hebdo?

Gunmen have shot dead 12 people at the Paris office of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in an apparent militant Islamist attack.

Four of the magazine's well-known cartoonists, including its editor, were among those killed, as well as two police officers.

A major police operation is under way to find three gunmen who fled by car.

President Francois Hollande said there was no doubt it had been a terrorist attack "of exceptional barbarity".

It is believed to be the deadliest attack in France since 1961, when right-wingers who wanted to keep Algeria French bombed a train, killing 28 people.

The masked attackers opened fire with assault rifles in the office and exchanged shots with police in the street outside before escaping by car. They later abandoned the car in Rue de Meaux, northern Paris, where they hijacked a second car.

Death threats
Witnesses said they heard the gunmen shouting "We have avenged the Prophet Muhammad" and "God is Great" in Arabic ("Allahu Akbar").

The number of attackers was initially reported to be two, but French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve later said security services were hunting three "criminals". He said that Paris had been placed on the highest alert.

Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Footage taken from a rooftop in Paris shows two gunmen firing shots
Charlie Hebdo editor Stephane Charbonnier, 47, had received death threats in the past and was living under police protection.

French media have named the three other cartoonists killed in the attack as Cabu, Tignous and Wolinski, as well as Charlie Hebdo contributor and French economist Bernard Maris.

The attack took place during the magazine's daily editorial meeting.

At least four people were critically wounded in the attack.

The satirical weekly has courted controversy in the past with its irreverent take on news and current affairs. It was firebombed in November 2011 a day after it carried a caricature of the Prophet Muhammad.

Global condemnation
The latest tweet on Charlie Hebdo's account was a cartoon of the Islamic State militant group leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Charlie Hebdo's website, which went offline during the attack, is showing the single image of "Je suis Charlie" ("I am Charlie) on a black banner, referring to a hashtag that is trending on Twitter in solidarity with the victims.

Screen grab of Charlie Hebdo website taken on 7 January 2015
People had been "murdered in a cowardly manner", President Hollande told reporters at the scene. "We are threatened because we are a country of liberty," he added, appealing for national unity.

French government officials are holding an emergency meeting, and President Hollande is due to give a televised address later.

Map of gun attack in Paris
US President Barack Obama has condemned the "horrific shooting", offering to provide any assistance needed "to help bring these terrorists to justice".

UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said: "It was a horrendous, unjustifiable and cold-blooded crime. It was also a direct assault on a cornerstone of democracy, on the media and on freedom of expression."

UK Prime Minister David Cameron said in a tweet: "The murders in Paris are sickening. We stand with the French people in the fight against terror and defending the freedom of the press."

The Arab League and Al-Azhar mosque, Egypt's top Islamic institution, have also condemned the attack.

Charlie Hebdo: Gun attack on French magazine kills 12

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
What will it take for this senseless killing to stop?

These bastards may have personal or religious agendas and it's too bad it involves innocent lives. Senseless, yes.

Hostage takers taken down in Paris. WARNING: not cool for kids to see

Barbara

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
I think it is crazy. Those people are so crazy about their religion that it turns most of them into completely schyco. But also it is not nice to draw cartoon and making fun to other religion either. That's how the tensions builds up. I am not saying it is right just to go and shoot people but at the same time it is not right to make fun of others. In my opinion both parties were wrong including the French government. They knew that one of the killer was terrorist and I think he was on the US terrorist list people. But yet the French government let him out jail. Why would they let a person out of jail when they knew that their background was terrorist. That just simply stupid of their government side. Any way at least now they were death less 2 crazy on the planet to worry about.

Sopheaktra

Level 1
Wanderer
Hi mates !!! The last 5 days were quite scaring for us in france. 2 attentats within 3 days and 17 personnes killed !!!!

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
I think it is crazy. Those people are so crazy about their religion that it turns most of them into completely schyco. But also it is not nice to draw cartoon and making fun to other religion either. That's how the tensions builds up. I am not saying it is right just to go and shoot people but at the same time it is not right to make fun of others. In my opinion both parties were wrong including the French government. They knew that one of the killer was terrorist and I think he was on the US terrorist list people. But yet the French government let him out jail. Why would they let a person out of jail when they knew that their background was terrorist. That just simply stupid of their government side. Any way at least now they were death less 2 crazy on the planet to worry about.

I can see your point. One side obviously did something to provoke the other. Is it right? Nope. Now, on the other side. How these guys respond to adversity just doesn't sit well with me. Oh, your feelings are hurt so you decide to take other people's lives? Maybe this is where I don't understand, because religion probably plays a huge role.

The French gov't. Yes, I agree. They could've done a better screening job when releasing any criminal, especially when the crime committed was terrorism or anything related to putting the country's sovereignty in limbo.

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
Hi mates !!! The last 5 days were quite scaring for us in france. 2 attentats within 3 days and 17 personnes killed !!!!

Did you check out the parade of world leaders showing up? No representative from the US showed up. Maybe the Americans still got some beef with the French from the World Wars haha

Sopheaktra

Level 1
Wanderer
Did you check out the parade of world leaders showing up? No representative from the US showed up. Maybe the Americans still got some beef with the French from the World Wars haha

yeah :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: or maybe they are affraid about an other attack during the parade ?!!!z_zz_z

Sopheaktra

Level 1
Wanderer
Hi Barbara, they are not 2 but 3 !!! and they have had made 2 attentats :(:( and there is still on women (the wife one of the three guys) she have escaped to Syrie or thing like this !!!:cry::cry:

Barbara

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
Hi Barbara, they are not 2 but 3 !!! and they have had made 2 attentats :(:( and there is still on women (the wife one of the three guys) she have escaped to Syrie or thing like this !!!:cry::cry:
From I heard the woman was now escaped, but she was caught on cameras at the airport security but nobody didn't even bother to stop her. Then they came up with some stupid excuse that she wasn't warned as danger, that's just bs excuse. From I heard on the new too that the U.S. had been warned the French government about those 2 guys but yet the French government didn't bother to react or anything. Sorry to say but it is just typical French people. They are so lazy about everything. I just feel and this is just my opinion that the French government has laws and rules but yet they didn't bother to use instead they just sit on it, and try to find some excuses about it. Just look how many time in a year that the French do strikes, they do strikes more than they work, and did the government react anything about it.