Cambodia Bizarre Foods

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Every nationality has some kind of bizarre food or at least foods that you and I won't even eat or want to eat.
There will always someone that would eat it and like it. As I noticed that there are some khmer people who can't stand or even want to eat prahok because of its smell, I see it fun that I post what Khmer people has to offer in term as something bizarre to eat. :D

Post your own experiences, comments, concerns, questions, anything you like on Khmer bizarre food.
We all won't agree on what we put in our mouth, but that's what makes us unique from one another. (y)
I'm not going to eat what you eat, but I'll watch. ;)

Last edited:

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Andrew Zimmern is an American television personality, chef, food writer, and teacher. He is the co-creator, host, and consulting producer of the Travel Channel series Bizarre Foods.

My sister (former model) ;) watched his show. In these video clip, the people is also speaking in Khmer to him, even though he has no idea what they're saying. :D

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
None of the food i eat are considered bizarre and i'm too much of a chicken to try any of the stuff in the video.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
None of the food i eat are considered bizarre and i'm too much of a chicken to try any of the stuff in the video.

It's okay, I'm not sure I can eat the spider either, but he makes it sounds so good. It does sound tempting to me, he said it taste like soft shell crab. Hmm, I really wouldn't know until it's in my face. :D

Last edited:

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Lets continue eating in Cambodia. (y)
He eat a lot of bizarre things, but he doesn't like durian.
I never care for durian before when I was a child, always see my mom buy it to eat.
As I got older, after seeing people eating it, I tried it again and has become to liked it a lot myself.
Now, I love eating durian. Even liked the smell of it. :D

Last edited:

Sreymup

ひきこもり
Swordsman
Wanderer
The first one is fried crickets and the other one, I have no idea. My grandma eats these things sometimes and my mom too. They say it tastes really good but it's just not for me.
insects_6493.jpg

pd936150.jpg

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Prahok is used as a seasoning in many traditional dish. :D
Check out Malis Restaurant in Phnom Penh, when you travel to Cambodia. :)

Last edited:

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I'm open to trying other food before rejecting it, are you?
Share your bizarre food story with us. (y)

Eyenada

Commoner
I tried the one that looks like a cockroach when I had visit Cambodia. My said it isn't a cockroach, But whatever it is, I couldn't get past it's flaky wings. Eww.. So, yeah, I totally didn't finish that up.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I can't really recall eating anything bizarre in my life, I eaten turtles before if that is even consider bizarre.
I'm not going to eat snake since I'm so frighten of them.
Monkey are too cute for me to even consider, I will just walk pass it.
Not a bat person, the spider do look yummy though. :)

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
The first one is fried crickets and the other one, I have no idea. My grandma eats these things sometimes and my mom too. They say it tastes really good but it's just not for me.
insects_6493.jpg

pd936150.jpg

i used to eat them ..they are very tasty .

If i remember correctly the second is baby Silkworm and it is very hard to find in this day

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
I have never ate turtle,but i ate raw turtle egg.
I am afraid of snake, but i do eat them though.
I heard that blood of Kingcobra with moonshine is good too, But i have never try it.... wishing to try someday
I have never considered eat Monkey
I have ate something that simular to spider before

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I have never ate turtle,but i ate raw turtle egg.
I am afraid of snake, but i do eat them though.
I heard that blood of Kingcobra with moonshine is good too, But i have never try it.... wishing to try someday
I have never considered eat Monkey
I have ate something that simular to spider before

Thanks theary for sharing your food eating experience.
I forgot to mention that I ate balut before. It's very common in Thailand too, where I was born at.