Gov’t Defends Its Handling Of Brides In China

Marvelous

Commoner
I just want to share this news because as far as I know, my cousin is one of the bride.

BY EANG MENGLENG AND SIMON HENDERSON | SEPTEMBER 8, 2014
The government hit back over the weekend against criticism that it is failing to provide basic protection to Cambodian women in China, who have increasingly found themselves trapped in violent situations after being lured to the country with promises of a wealthy husband or lucrative job.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Saturday rebuffed reports from rights group Adhoc that consulates in China were doing little to help Cambodian women who have escaped serious domestic abuse after entering into marriages with or being sold to Chinese men. The organization says that since 2013, it has helped 19 women return to Cambodia after they fled violent or sexually abusive relationships in China.

On Friday, Adhoc said NGOs were shouldering the responsibility for repatriating victims because Cambodian consulates lacked the budget to provide anything more than rudimentary shelter.

In response, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a three-point “clarification,” saying the Cambodian Embassy in Beijing, as well as consulates throughout China, worked diligently to rescue victims of human trafficking and had successfully repatriated 28 women from China since January.

“All Cambodian consular representatives in China work hard to cooperate with Chinese authorities to rescue Cambodian women, especially those forced to China against their will,” the statement says. Countering Adhoc’s claim that consulates offer women little more than a temporary roof over their heads, the statement says that food and water is also available, while legal assistance is provided “in some cases.”

The statement goes on to say that the Cambodian Embassy in Beijing will set up a 24-hour emergency hotline to make it easier for family members of trafficked women to report a threatening situation.

Finally, it explains that consular officials can only assist victims if they are willing to submit to Chinese law, which requires that married women get a divorce before leaving the country.

Adhoc president Thun Saray said Sunday that although his organization had a good working relationship with the government in assisting trafficked women, numerous victims had complained that consulates were sluggish in dealing with their cases and provided limited assistance.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not worked well or with enough speed to help,” Mr. Saray said.

“We know that the embassy and consulates in China do not have proper shelters or accommodation, and sometimes turn away victims when they come for help.”

Cheng Hong Bo, spokesman for the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh, said his country was also working to address shortcomings in the repatriation process.

“This issue is very concerning and both China and Cambodia are taking measures to address the matter,” Mr. Cheng said.

“I don’t know specific details about the new procedures that will deal with trafficked women, but Chinese authorities are paying great attention to address this.”

Due to China’s one-child policy and a cultural preference for males, there are now about 119 boys born to every 100 girls. This population imbalance has led many would-be husbands to search for wives outside the country’s borders. While Vietnam was the first country in the region to see women leaving in significant numbers to marry Chinese men, the trend is spreading quickly.

The Cambodian and Chinese governments say they are currently drafting a memorandum of understanding to protect Cambodian women who enter into marriages with Chinese men.

It is true, but we just have to keep in mind that most of those girls just doesn't have the choice.
It's a sad reality indeed, "forgive them anyway?" hehe
It's good to know that's there is a part of you that "realistic" instead of "optimistic."
I learn something new everyday.

Mother Theresa would say,

"If you marry a rich Chinese and they beat the living daylights outta you, forgive them anyways."

"If you have an abusive family, forgive them anyways." - been there.

Last edited:

Marvelous

Commoner
It's a sad reality indeed, "forgive them anyway?" hehe
It's good to know that's there is a part of you that "realistic" instead of "optimistic."
I learn something new everyday.

Mother Theresa would say,

"If you marry a rich Chinese and they beat the living daylights outta you, forgive them anyways."

"If you have an abusive family, forgive them anyways." - been there.

LOL:D:D I am impressed you takes Mother Teresa quotes to heart. :D:D

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
I just want to share this news because as far as I know, my cousin is one of the bride.

BY EANG MENGLENG AND SIMON HENDERSON | SEPTEMBER 8, 2014
The government hit back over the weekend against criticism that it is failing to provide basic protection to Cambodian women in China, who have increasingly found themselves trapped in violent situations after being lured to the country with promises of a wealthy husband or lucrative job.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Saturday rebuffed reports from rights group Adhoc that consulates in China were doing little to help Cambodian women who have escaped serious domestic abuse after entering into marriages with or being sold to Chinese men. The organization says that since 2013, it has helped 19 women return to Cambodia after they fled violent or sexually abusive relationships in China.

On Friday, Adhoc said NGOs were shouldering the responsibility for repatriating victims because Cambodian consulates lacked the budget to provide anything more than rudimentary shelter.

In response, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a three-point “clarification,” saying the Cambodian Embassy in Beijing, as well as consulates throughout China, worked diligently to rescue victims of human trafficking and had successfully repatriated 28 women from China since January.

“All Cambodian consular representatives in China work hard to cooperate with Chinese authorities to rescue Cambodian women, especially those forced to China against their will,” the statement says. Countering Adhoc’s claim that consulates offer women little more than a temporary roof over their heads, the statement says that food and water is also available, while legal assistance is provided “in some cases.”

The statement goes on to say that the Cambodian Embassy in Beijing will set up a 24-hour emergency hotline to make it easier for family members of trafficked women to report a threatening situation.

Finally, it explains that consular officials can only assist victims if they are willing to submit to Chinese law, which requires that married women get a divorce before leaving the country.

Adhoc president Thun Saray said Sunday that although his organization had a good working relationship with the government in assisting trafficked women, numerous victims had complained that consulates were sluggish in dealing with their cases and provided limited assistance.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not worked well or with enough speed to help,” Mr. Saray said.

“We know that the embassy and consulates in China do not have proper shelters or accommodation, and sometimes turn away victims when they come for help.”

Cheng Hong Bo, spokesman for the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh, said his country was also working to address shortcomings in the repatriation process.

“This issue is very concerning and both China and Cambodia are taking measures to address the matter,” Mr. Cheng said.

“I don’t know specific details about the new procedures that will deal with trafficked women, but Chinese authorities are paying great attention to address this.”

Due to China’s one-child policy and a cultural preference for males, there are now about 119 boys born to every 100 girls. This population imbalance has led many would-be husbands to search for wives outside the country’s borders. While Vietnam was the first country in the region to see women leaving in significant numbers to marry Chinese men, the trend is spreading quickly.

The Cambodian and Chinese governments say they are currently drafting a memorandum of understanding to protect Cambodian women who enter into marriages with Chinese men.

what's happening to your cousin right now? how is she doing? is she okay? did she get lucky with someone loving and caring?

Marvelous

Commoner
what's happening to your cousin right now? how is she doing? is she okay? did she get lucky with someone loving and caring?
The last time I heard from the mom, they are doing fine and they really love her. The brother in law also want to marry her little sister. I totally disagree but their is nothing that I can do.

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
The last time I heard from the mom, they are doing fine and they really love her. The brother in law also want to marry her little sister. I totally disagree but their is nothing that I can do.

Good to hear. The way I see how the brides exchange between Cambodia and China is pathetic. I got this itching feeling that is telling me the brides are like "products." The Chinese men basically buy Khmer women and take them as their own. They provide food, water, shelter, and etc., all at their own expenses. And who's to say these women are getting all these core essentials of life? Obviously, the news are telling us some are being abused to the point they had to flee from their husbands.

At the end of the day, who am I to say such things? It's not my life. These ladies agreed to take their hand in marriage in hope of a better future. I just hope that they understand that when signing up for this shit, they are knowing what they're getting into. There is a good chance they are going to lose their culture, and losing their culture is like losing their self-identity. This is the way I see it and it doesn't sit well with me. And if it was me, I'd marry someone poor and still maintain my self-determination, my Khmer roots, and freedom. That's just me...and I'm a guy. Some women in dire need probably think differently.

Marvelous

Commoner
Good to hear. The way I see how the brides exchange between Cambodia and China is pathetic. I got this itching feeling that is telling me the brides are like "products." The Chinese men basically buy Khmer women and take them as their own. They provide food, water, shelter, and etc., all at their own expenses. And who's to say these women are getting all these core essentials of life? Obviously, the news are telling us some are being abused to the point they had to flee from their husbands.

At the end of the day, who am I to say such things? It's not my life. These ladies agreed to take their hand in marriage in hope of a better future. I just hope that they understand that when signing up for this shit, they are knowing what they're getting into. There is a good chance they are going to lose their culture, and losing their culture is like losing their self-identity. This is the way I see it and it doesn't sit well with me. And if it was me, I'd marry someone poor and still maintain my self-determination, my Khmer roots, and freedom. That's just me...and I'm a guy. Some women in dire need probably think differently.

I am not sure if that is true or not, because I haven't heard from them for a long time.

Cambodian daughter are always listen to their parent. If the parent say it is good, they will follow. So I don't know if the girls knowing what they are getting themselves into.

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
I am not sure if that is true or not, because I haven't heard from them for a long time.

Cambodian daughter are always listen to their parent. If the parent say it is good, they will follow. So I don't know if the girls knowing what they are getting themselves into.

Damn, I didn't realize I went on a rant in my last reply to you haha.

Question to you. Do you always listen to your parents? Do you think Cambodian parents always know what's best for daughters?