Service At Asian Restaurants

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
I know better than to expect good service at Asian restaurants. And I don't. If the food is bad I usually just count my losses and never return. When the food is beyond horrible and I do decide to complain, I usually get one or more of the following:

"no, nothing is wrong with the dish," or
"you don't know how the dish is suppose to be," or
"that's how the food's supposed to taste," or worst,
"it doesn't matter, you ate it (some of it) so you must pay."

No apology, no initiative to try to right the wrong, no compensation whatsoever.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Where I live, two main Asian place to eat is at a Chinese or Viet place. Cambodian food, I have to drive 30 minutes back down to Long Beach.Worst service place for me would be at the Viet place.
Viet
1. Slam the dish onto the table.
2. Spoon and fork is sticky, not clean.
3. They speak rudely to you.
4. Staring issue.
5. Talk back to the customer.

Chinese
1. Most don't speak English.
2. Cash only!
3. Think they're superior.
4. Charge for tea.
5. Expect tips.

Cambodian
Mostly have the better customer service but they always cater to elder first. You always comes in after the elder. The first come first serve rule don't apply with them.

I continue to eat out but take out is the best if you don't want to tip the bad service but like the food. I always go online to check up places with good review to try out their food. I don't bother going to places with low rating.

If a place really piss you off :mad:, you can go on yelp and write a bad review for them :p. If the place don't exist, you have to add in that location yourself then write the review. I suggest getting the business card before leaving so you will have their information to put on www.yelp.com

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
When the food is beyond horrible and I do decide to complain, I usually get one or more of the following:

"no, nothing is wrong with the dish," or
"you don't know how the dish is suppose to be," or
"that's how the food's supposed to taste," or worst,
"it doesn't matter, you ate it (some of it) so you must pay."

No apology, no initiative to try to right the wrong, no compensation whatsoever.

Wow, this is the first time I heard it. I hope that I never ever experience the same as you.

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
If a place really piss you off :mad:, you can go on yelp and write a bad review for them :p. If the place don't exist, you have to add in that location yourself then write the review. I suggest getting the business card before leaving so you will have their information to put on www.yelp.com
Thing is, Yelp filters out all of my reviews. Yeah, now I don't go to places with 2 stars or less. If the service is bad but has good food, I'd still go when I have the craving. Bad service + bad food = no way Jose.

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
From my experience, Asian restaurants tend to be a bit a little less customer-caring unless you are a white customer. I would say average at best, but what can I say since I love Asian food. :D

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
I don't think it's in the culture to care about customers. In my experience, the Asians that give decent customer service are the Japanese. They bow every time customers enter/exit the restaurant.

I don't think it's in the culture to care about customers. In my experience, the Asians that give decent customer service are the Japanese. They bow every time customers enter/exit the restaurant.
Koreans give pretty good customer service as long as you tip them the end. If you don't they follow you to your car and complain to you.

bamboo

Commoner
It may be where you're located at as well. In the south where I'm from, service is not so bad. I only remembered one place where service was horrible. It was actually a Japanese place. The food is great and that's the only reason I keep going back there. They've spilled hot soup all over me, ignored my whole family - after about 20 min we just walked out, and gave me incorrect change. I gave them a 50.00 and they gave me about 10.00 back when the bill was less then 10.00. I figured the rest went to tip.....

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
It may be where you're located at as well. In the south where I'm from, service is not so bad. I only remembered one place where service was horrible. It was actually a Japanese place. The food is great and that's the only reason I keep going back there. They've spilled hot soup all over me, ignored my whole family - after about 20 min we just walked out, and gave me incorrect change. I gave them a 50.00 and they gave me about 10.00 back when the bill was less then 10.00. I figured the rest went to tip.....

That is horrible. I always use credit card, to speed up credit history, avoid miscalculation, and I need cash for most of the Chinese restaurant that required only cash for payment. :)

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP

Location is really the key. Long Beach, CA. Khmer restaurant customer service top all the other Asian restaurant for me.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Thing is, Yelp filters out all of my reviews. Yeah, now I don't go to places with 2 stars or less. If the service is bad but has good food, I'd still go when I have the craving. Bad service + bad food = no way Jose.

It would be nice if you find a girlfriend that can cook for you.

Places with good food, I just take togo so I don't have to tip their bad service.

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
It would be nice if you find a girlfriend that can cook for you.
Places with good food, I just take togo so I don't have to tip their bad service.
Believe it or not, I am a really good cook. Just that after work I feel too tired to cook. So I mostly eat out. I probably should get back to cooking to save money.

You're just like my sister. :) She does take out all the time to avoid tipping, for bad or good service.

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
Location is really the key. Long Beach, CA. Khmer restaurant customer service top all the other Asian restaurant for me.
You know what, now that I think about it, Khmers tend to give huge portions.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Believe it or not, I am a really good cook. Just that after work I feel too tired to cook. So I mostly eat out. I probably should get back to cooking to save money.

You're just like my sister. :) She does take out all the time to avoid tipping, for bad or good service.

My house is surrounded by restaurant so take out is quick and easy for me. I can eat in front of my own television and watch whatever I want in the comfy of my own home. Not so fond of bad service and have no one to cook for me so have to buy the food. I don't live with my mommy anymore. I cook sometimes, but I'm a very lazy person. :D

A guy knowing how to cook is great news for any future wife. You can help out in the house. (y)

Sreymup

ひきこもり
Swordsman
Wanderer
I don't like it when people slam the plates onto the table. And sometimes the utensils are not clean but I can always ask for another (y)

vee dubz

Beggar
There is this restaurant in Lowell, MA called "Simply Khmer", well their service needs improvement. It takes a long time to get your food such as kathiew. Seriously what restaurant takes long to serve kathiew? Sometimes when they bring your food, they forget things. Their food is delicious and it was featured on Andrew Zimmerman's "Bizzarre Foods" but who wants to wait forever to get food? Their staff is also young so maybe it's because they're not trained well. Anyways even if i get bad service I still tip at least 15%. Not tipping or tipping less than 15% is rude in my opinion.