Going To Cambodia

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
i'm going to cambodia early next year....for the first time in my life.

does anyone here have suggestions on what to do, where to go, what to avoid, how to effectively get around, how to deal with snobby khmers, and any other things that could help me??

You seem to know your way around life's obstacles real well. But since you ask...

My life seldom reaches beyond the 5 mi radius-limit. However, I do hope you have a life-changing experience. Most do. I don't think I'll ever be going to Cambodia for a trip. I don't feel any affinity for that country or the people. Maybe one day I will have a change of heart.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
I'm sure you have all the basic down as far as being a safe travelers, so I'm not going to rant about the same old things. But I do want to congratulate you on the trip. Hope everything goes well.

Do take enough picture for yourself to look at later at home even though you're not going to post it on the forum. It's a nice memory to have laying around in the scrapbook. :)

1318.jpg

kolap

Commoner
That sounds like fun! I haven't been, but would love to! Are you visiting family/friends? If yea, I think they would advise you the do's and don'ts, as well as other great tips. I would say hold off wearing jewelries, and wear a messenger cross-body back etc. They can definitely sense that you're from abroad and that might mean trouble, I say depending on what parts of the country you're gonna be at.

Happycamper, did you have a bad experience?

kolap

Commoner
If you don't mind, can you share your experience with us? When and where did you visit, as well as the duration of it. I plan to visit in the near future. You can leave anything personal out. If you don't want to revisit the bad times, I'd understand.

If you don't mind, can you share your experience with us? When and where did you visit, as well as the duration of it. I plan to visit in the near future. You can leave anything personal out. If you don't want to revisit the bad times, I'd understand.
Never visited so I can't speak on it. I'm just saying, my experiences here has scarred me here, not there.

kolap

Commoner
I'm sorry to hear that. I misunderstood what you said til I reread it. I haven't had time nor the money to travel to nearby states, let alone abroad. I'm planning to change that though as to travel and see the world and lives beyond my own and how I perceive it is one of my goals and passion. I think my future trip to Cambodia will be a life-changing experience.

I'm sorry to hear that. I misunderstood what you said til I reread it. I haven't had time nor the money to travel to nearby states, let alone abroad. I'm planning to change that though as to travel and see the world and lives beyond my own and how I perceive it is one of my goals and passion. I think my future trip to Cambodia will be a life-changing experience.
Funny thing, my Korean ex gf went to Cambodia lol...she said it was a beautiful country. She went with my family. I choose to stay home. She said it is a crazy country though. She was walking in countryside and a crazy khmer guy tried to attack her with a spin kick. serious. he was mental though. I do know that you can get a bowl of pho for 50 cents. serious.

in fact, she had such a great time, she invited her cousins and his people to go for a second time like the following month.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
My dad told me that the price of food there is about the same as here. It's just different in currencies. The hotel is cheap because it's not a five star hotel compare to Vegas. Food selling on the street would always be cheaper since they use cheaper source to prep it, example dirty muddy water, etc. You get what you pay for. You can find $1 sandal here at the 99 cent store so its not a big price differences there.

There are those that get sick from eating there and those that don't, so you'll have to try it out for yourself to know where you stand. Always stick to the more expensive restaurant to be safe. Even in restaurants in Cambodia, there is wisdom in being prudent in choosing what are being offered. For example, it is hard to determine if raw vegies have been thoroughly washed, so, careful exercise of discretion is strongly recommended in eating raw herbs.

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
You seem to know your way around life's obstacles real well. But since you ask...

My life seldom reaches beyond the 5 mi radius-limit. However, I do hope you have a life-changing experience. Most do. I don't think I'll ever be going to Cambodia for a trip. I don't feel any affinity for that country or the people. Maybe one day I will have a change of heart.

There are good and bad people for all nationality. The world has a mixture of everything. Having people put me down, makes me a better person, so it's not always bad to have those kinds of people around. Maybe it won't work for everyone, but it does wonders for some. Most people won't strive without the push from others and those bad people help push me the right direction. I have bad past but it's the future that counts for us, Happy. (y)

Thanks Hunnie. I find this reply quite positive and very true. A better future will trump any bad past :D.

chenna

Level 2
Legendary
VIP
That sounds like fun! I haven't been, but would love to! Are you visiting family/friends? If yea, I think they would advise you the do's and don'ts, as well as other great tips. I would say hold off wearing jewelries, and wear a messenger cross-body back etc. They can definitely sense that you're from abroad and that might mean trouble, I say depending on what parts of the country you're gonna be at.

Happycamper, did you have a bad experience?
i totally agree with u koalp on the jewelries and etc...i never been to cambodia b4, only been traveling to europe nd the bahamas..im actually planning to go to Thailand and cambodia next summer. i wont stress myself out, just like n e other countries , i will just have to take precaution n try to b safe n enjoy my vac while im there.

kolap

Commoner
^^^I totally agree with u Hunnie. Ppl who puts me down, or underestimates me only makes me stronger, and get me motivated to put up with any obstacles and strive.

Thx chenna! Wow, you're so lucky! I have never traveled that far to nearby states, let alone abroad. I really want to though, and that is actually what I will be doing in the near future, hopefully next year. Time is flying by fast, and I'm not getting any younger lol. Life is too unexpected and short for us to worry about everything. Before, I would dismiss my friends' offers to go on trips with them bc I had to either save up or use the money for bills. I've encountered a bit too many unexpected deaths around me that made me realize that those money that were being saved up might not be of any use to me if I were to die suddenly. Also, I may not even have a chance to explore, travel, or do the things I've always wanna do if things like this are holding me back.

I have a Chinese friend who left at the end of June to visit her family and friends in China. She wanted to buy some stuff here for them and I was her shopping buddy for the day. We visited a Coach store and she liked most of the bags she looked at, but once she saw that the purses had an opening, she was like forget it. I asked her why, and she told me that there are a lot of pockets and purses pickers, as well as thieves. For some reason, I was kind of surprised as I thought that countries that are a lot better off than Cambodia wouldn't have that kind of problem. I guess it just depends on certain locations. Like here, ppl would buy any kind of purse and not care about getting robbed or not. We can also carry purses around, and not be afraid to like in Cambodia, and other poor countries. . Kinda relates to what Hunnie had said in her post about a mix of everything.

Jaxa4786

Commoner
Wanderer
Cambodia is not all that bad. But the first thing they know is your accent. They will know you come from the states. When I went to visit. I stay with my parents side. I dont people to be stealing from me. But if you visit go siem reap and angkor watt. you love it there.

kolap

Commoner
Java, how was your overall visit? Did you enjoy it? I would love to go someday. But as I'm unemployed, and a full-time student, it'll be hard to plan one in the near future. :/

Jaxa4786

Commoner
Wanderer
I enjoy it there. I wanna visit again soon. But i have to wait for 5 more years. I recently give birth she too young to travel. I miss my cousins over there. I love eating fruit like logan and others kind of fruit. It better than apple and pear lol. You never know one day you will get your degree and find a job. What is your major?

Cambodians people never accept me man, makes me very mad. I avoid them cause all the time, they gotta say something bad about me, really! That's what I don't wanna go, I harbor it man. It's not hatred really but I feel shunned...like what else am I suppose to feel? lol I feel hated. Sorry to venting off topic :D but it was a moment of inspiration for me to express myself hehe. Whaa-ta!

But I wouldn't mind going man, its not that serious. To be honest with you guys I'm just a busy man and I can't really make the time right now. A little scared too. I got hella bills and going to Cambodia will burn a good hole in my pocket. Hypothetically speaking I would LOVE to go to srok khmer but with extreme caution and of course amazing wonder:D as I would towards any other country.

Never going though, that just on the real, too broke right now man.

Last edited:

kolap

Commoner
Ooh that's nice. Congrats on the new addition to the family! Maybe Cambodia will be even more advanced when you visit in five years. I'm actually hoping to be able to see that when I go visit. I just recently watched a BBC "A Cabbie Abroad - Cambodia, and this one part in Phnom Penh were undergoing a lot of construction work. The Cambodian host of the British or Australian man said that they demolished many houses there, which resulted with thousands of families homeless. I believed it was a tourist attraction as well. It's very sad. The Cambodian man said it was Hun Sen's idea and project of expanding his "White House."

Oh yea lol, I have heard about the fruits there, very juicy and fresh.

My dream is to become a nurse. I actually finished two years of college but took years off to work so that I can help my family out and buy a car. Once I've done that, I resigned as I cannot wait on getting my career started. I got put into Biology due to a misunderstanding, but have submitted a request to transfer into the nursing program. I will hear back from them if my request has been approved or declined in October. If it gets approved, I will be the happiest person ever =D

I've been applying like a madwoman lol, but no luck. I could have gotten a couple of the jobs that I applied for, but my school schedule is conflicted with the work time. I can only do part-time which is something almost impossible to find esp in the admin/office field.

Jaxa4786

Commoner
Wanderer
Cambodia people love people who respect them by calling them bong. Even if they younger than me I still call them bong. It showing them respect. But I dont like going to the rich side. They are the snobby ass bitch. Excuse my langauge. I just dont like how they look down on other khmer lower class people.