Frugality

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
What money saving tips do you have?

Where do you find bargains for food, clothing, electronics, etc?

Why you think overcoming self-indulgence is key to saving $?

For shopping, where do you go? Please share some websites and/or brick and mortar where you get awesome deals.

About 65% of my expenses is food. The fuck? How do I save without buying food???

ami

Commoner
none since everything is expensive :D target sometimes on sale items up to 75% only cheap/or accountant could save money :D
rei.com or everywhere that have cheap clothes lol about food ppl use coupon or food4less :D

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
Clothing: I don't spend a lot of money on clothing. When I do buy clothes I buy clothing of good materials because they last longer. When I get home, say from work, I hang them right away. I try to wash them only after several wears cause too much washing could age them. I dry clean if I need to.

Food: I try to eat home-cook meals as much as possible. Or I'd prepare food that will last for at least 3 days so that I don't have to cook everyday. I stock up on nonperishable when they go on sale. I buy fruits and vegetables in season. Right now it's mango season so I buy boxes of them and eat 'em everyday. Haha. Basically I plan meals around what's on sale. Pack lunch to work.

I shop at Costco/Sam's Club for restockable items like bath tissues, napkins, bottled water, toothbrush heads, etc.

Another key to money saving is to avoid buying on impulse. This is a weakness of mine.

ami

Commoner
hamster wat kind of work u do man loekru huh? so organize :D by way if u wanna ur clothes to smell good longer...put a small towel with spray perfume between ur fold clothes :D

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
none since everything is expensive :D target sometimes on sale items up to 75% only cheap/or accountant could save money :D
rei.com or everywhere that have cheap clothes lol about food ppl use coupon or food4less :D

What if you don't like shopping at Target or especially REI? Isn't REI a store that sells stuff for those who love to hike. I wouldn't be surprised if PKY shops there haha.

I personally don't believe in "couponing." I think it takes more time trying to look for a coupon for the things you buy. That time, for some people, is precious and could be used to learn, invest, and more importantly, going on Khmerforums hahahah....

Clothing: I don't spend a lot of money on clothing. When I do buy clothes I buy clothing of good materials because they last longer. When I get home, say from work, I hang them right away. I try to wash them only after several wears cause too much washing could age them. I dry clean if I need to.

Food: I try to eat home-cook meals as much as possible. Or I'd prepare food that will last for at least 3 days so that I don't have to cook everyday. I stock up on nonperishable when they go on sale. I buy fruits and vegetables in season. Right now it's mango season so I buy boxes of them and eat 'em everyday. Haha. Basically I plan meals around what's on sale. Pack lunch to work.

I shop at Costco/Sam's Club for restockable items like bath tissues, napkins, bottled water, toothbrush heads, etc.

Another key to money saving is to avoid buying on impulse. This is a weakness of mine.

Aye man, it's not fair that you have a sister who knows how to make cha lok lak and lok cha HAHA. Food spending is my main problem. I'm sure many peeps are in the same position. I've read lots of stuff online and the suggestions don't fit my preference.

Clothes, on the other hand, is no problem for me. I've learned to buy clothes that would last a long time, although they cost a little more than what you get at Target and maybe some department stores.

Going back to food, do you have any other suggestions other than shopping at Costco/Sam's Club? What if you live alone? How does buying in bulk help out a 1 or even 2-persons household?

Hamster

Level 2
Swordsman
Wanderer
hamster wat kind of work u do man loekru huh? so organize :D by way if u wanna ur clothes to smell good longer...put a small towel with spray perfume between ur fold clothes :D
LOL ami, I'm not a teacher. I grew up with a lot of sisters; they taught me to be organized. My father is also an organize freak. So yeah. No perfume for me. I get headaches from even mild fragrance. I use the ECOS laundry detergent. It has a nice light scent that is not overpowering.

believe, the only foods I buy in bulk are foods that I can store for a few weeks like yogurt, ice cream, pasta, canned fish... The rest I buy on as needed basis. What is your food preference?

believe

Commoner
Wanderer
LOL ami, I'm not a teacher. I grew up with a lot of sisters; they taught me to be organized. My father is also an organize freak. So yeah. No perfume for me. I get headaches from even mild fragrance. I use the ECOS laundry detergent. It has a nice light scent that is not overpowering.

believe, the only foods I buy in bulk are foods that I can store for a few weeks like yogurt, ice cream, pasta, canned fish... The rest I buy on as needed basis. What is your food preference?

My food preference is Cambodian food. Seriously, I can eat it everyday. Thai and Vietnamese food are tied second on my list. Then, Chinese food follows. Mexican food rank 4th. Other kinds of Asian foods, like Filipino, Japanese, and Korean food are like whatevers to me. I do not crave for American food (which is not "American" but people say it so much, many wrongly believe it's American) like burgers, fries, pizza, hot dogs, spaghetti, etc.

So yea, what does that leave me? Where am I suppose to go for discount Khmer food? I can't buy a big ass can of prahok at Costco. Man, I'm so stupid when it comes to food, I didn't even know you have to put more ingredients to make prahok after buying a can of prahok. When my mom told me this, I gave up. I left that can of tuna/pre-prahok or whatever it's called in my refrigerator for about 3 months. Ended up throwing that shit away. What a waste haha.

ami

Commoner
after watching 2 much youtube :D....believe dear Khmer ppl can save money by buying rice, rice noodle, potatoes and then buy healthy food that r under $3 like whole wheat rice, banana, etc. Also buy seasonal clothes 4 discount like only $2 in some state or some supermarket have promotion like buy1 and get 2 free. :D 2 me 99 cents store/dollar tree is not actually cheap now a day :D

pocketkiriyama

Commoner

Me too I get headaches from too much fragrance. The biggest key here is to budget your spending. I calculate a projected spending for all my bills, food, etc. for the next 3 months and stick to those numbers.

Reactions: ami

ami

Commoner
so girl with 2 much fragrance turn u away huh? :D seriously can't believe u calculate ur bills for some1 like u with full time n part time job :D since u own a home, is it true u don't have to buy more foods since u have ur own garden dear?

pocketkiriyama

Commoner
so girl with 2 much fragrance turn u away huh? :D seriously can't believe u calculate ur bills for some1 like u with full time n part time job :D since u own a home, is it true u don't have to buy more foods since u have ur own garden dear?

I share my mortgage with my mom. We do have a garden but it's because that's my parents' hobby. Calculating your spending habits is the first thing to do when trying to save money for anything. I was surprise by how much I spend on food every month. This became a habit since the time I spent 3 years paying off my $40,000+ debt. A mellow fragrance is okay. My nose get stuffy fast when there are heavy particulates like fragrance in the air.

Reactions: ami

Phon88

Beggar
For me, I am very lucky since I have always been able to save the money I have. Saving and being cheap is easy since I am used to living this way. I still live with my parents so most of my money is tuck away for future investment, rainy day and for retirement. My goal is to retire at 50.

I buy from thrift stores from time to time. I only shop at stores like TJ maxx, Marshal, or Ross for clothing when I want them new. You could find the name brand there without the name brand price tag. I also save by not having a GIRLFRIEND. Women cost a lot of money if you actually do an AUDIT of your relationship. Try it and see how much you spend on her. haha Ladies, Please don't attack me on this. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE me a pretty lady, but I want my financial together first. When the money comes, so does the LADIES. haha To make extra money on the side I am learning to spot quality items from garage sales, estates sales, thrift stores, craigslist and any place where I can buy stuff for cheap to resell. STOP PLACING VALUE ON NON SENSE AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SAVE AND BE HAPPY. LESS IS MORE. I might have gotten of topic, I don't gave a damn.

MGTOW all the way!!!!!

merlynn

Beggar
It is very true what some have said of home-cookd meals. I used to spend extravagantly in my younger years and think that I have managed to quell my impulse habits. my only weaknesses are crisps and biscuits - which I take as special treats every now and again, everything else I am most frugal. supermarkets I shop at have the specials section + those that are close to expiration. Dont look down on the supermarket brands either. I am amazed that I can now stretch my money quite well. As for clothes, pre-loved clothe hunting is now a hobby of mine!!! Put in the effort can find some very good quality stuff, which makes me wonder at times why they were discarded. most of what i have bought have zero defects....I cycle or walk instead of taking cabs to get around (within reason, everything else public transportation).