Cropping Black Borders With Handbrake

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
If you're using Handbrake to encode your videos and would like the crop the black borders, here's the guide:

handbrake-version-0.9.5-crop.jpg

Example file: Eastern Hero, Episode 1

1. Under Cropping, select Custom.
2. Set a pixel size you would like to crop out (120 pixels left and right in the example).
3. Use the Preview button to see a sample of your crop. If it doesn't look right, adjust the cropping again.

Output:
http://www.khmerave.com/videos/eastern-hero-test/

Note: I encoded the file using 720x480 resolution. Khmer Avenue max width for the video player is 630 pixels in width. With some math, I scaled it down to 630x430 resolution when using the embed code from Vimeo.

Last edited:

PkaLotus

Level 3
legendary
Super Moderator
VIP
(y) THX

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
My Size
Source: 352 x 480
Width: 352 Height: 480

I can't adjust those numbers.

Note: I encoded the file using 720x480 resolution.

How did you get your source file to 854 x 480 with a width of 720 x 480 height?

I used the 4 and 120 to crop it and the video went smaller instead of it stretching out to fill out the black bar.
The black side bar stretch out instead of disappearing. :(

Rei

Level 3
Master
VIP
Hey Hunnie, I downloaded the file from your video and it happened to be 854 x 480. Normally you can't really adjust the size any bigger than the source (although sometimes you can). But because your original height and width are different, the crop size will have to be different as well.

Thankfully, you got it working a different way. :)

Hunnie

Level 3
Legendary
VIP
Hey Hunnie, I downloaded the file from your video and it happened to be 854 x 480. Normally you can't really adjust the size any bigger than the source (although sometimes you can). But because your original height and width are different, the crop size will have to be different as well.

Thankfully, you got it working a different way. :)

Thanks Rei for letting me know. Downloading from another source seems to do the trick another way. That is something to know for later experiment. :D Finger crossing, I'm hoping my new way will work forever. :)
Glad to have you around to help solve my noobie questions.